Friday, July 12, 2013

Four Freedoms by Norman Rockwell

Norman Rockwell used his Vermont neighbors to help interpret the staunchly American values contained in the "Four Freedoms" so eloquently presented by President Franklin D. Roosevelt in his State of the Union speech to Congress, January 6, 1941. Rockwell's illustrations of each freedom clearly embody the spirit of FDR's ideas.

The Government initially rejected Rockwell's offer to create a series of paintings on the "Four Freedoms." However, Rockwell's finished paintings were commissioned and publicly circulated in four consecutive issues of The Saturday Evening Post, in February - March 1943. They became four of the best known posters of World War Two. After winning public approval, the four paintings became a motto for the war and for the 1943 bond drive. They are some of the best artwork done for the war. (from the New Hampshire State Library)







1 comment:

  1. I adore these. I (and I think many/most soldiers) wasn't terribly motivated on a day-to-day basis by overt patriotism. However, the promises in these posters, particularly freedom from fear, is something I held (hold) dear.

    Seeing little children in Korea, and thinking of my soon-to-be born niece in OIF - I wanted them to grow up safe and free.

    I like to think I still fight for these rights in our own country.

    ReplyDelete