Saturday, May 26, 2012

Homosexuality 101 -- A Video Response

I remember a conversation I once had with a clinical mentor. She told me that once I put it out into the universe that I had concerns about the safety of a patient, I needed to diligently, vigorously, and continuously pursue all of my options to make sure that patient is safe. I could not rest until I did everything that I could do to protect my client.

I've taken Debora's words seriously. I've thought of them a lot these past couple of weeks since first encountering a video clip from the Family Research Council. I took what some have told me is an extraordinary act: I wrote a letter to a therapist from Florida who is engaging in so-called reparative therapy. I questioned her about her ethics. I don't find this act extraordinary. I find it a duty that is incumbent upon me to perform as a licensed psychologist. 




I take my ethical code seriously. When I watched the initial video and saw a licensed therapist using her position of authority and trust to spread pseudo-scientific propaganda. I saw a licensed therapist that furthers a damaging agenda that has caused untold pain on a vulnerable population. I felt violated as a person and as a psychologist. I  felt called to stand up for my profession--and most importantly--I felt called to stand up for vulnerable people who are damaged by this propaganda that Dr. Hamilton spews through her platform with NARTH.

  • Psychologists strive to benefit those with whom they work and take care to do no harm.
  • Psychologists establish relationships of trust with those with whom they work.
  • Psychologists seek to promote accuracy, honesty and truthfulness in the science, teaching and practice of psychology.
  • Psychologists recognize that fairness and justice entitle all persons to access to and benefit from the contributions of psychology and to equal quality in the processes, procedures and services being conducted by psychologists... [and do not] condone unjust practices.
  • Psychologists respect the dignity and worth of all people... and they do not knowingly participate in or condone activities of others based upon such prejudices.
For more information on what I'm doing to stand up for what I think is ethical, right, and just, please see my new blog The Truth About Homosexuality. For a discussion about what an ethical and competent psychologist might do, see my post Confessions from a Reparative Therapist.

No comments:

Post a Comment